Welcome Guest, Register and Log In to View Images, Make Posts and fully experience FunOnTheNet! This site is 100% free!
funonthenet

Funonthenet Community
FunOnTheNet Community
December 17, 2017, 05:16:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the FunOnTheNet Indian Discussion Forums! The largest, fastest and best discussion forums for India and the world!

New Users check out the - Forum Help Guide and the Forum FAQ/Tutorial

Home   Help Calendar Arcade Recent Topics Staff List Login Register  

Live Auto Updating Latest Topics!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya  (Read 5846 times)
~ღ« เй$เYáн »ღ~
FOTN Junky

Best TopicMost Romantic Jodi

Posting Frequency

Mood
oήℓY яєα$oή ήє1 Cαή нατє мє เS τhєY wαήαβє ℓเκє мє

Topic starter

View Profile Stats
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »

Asato ma sad gamaya
Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya
Mrityor ma amritam gamaya !

Meaning
From non-existence lead us to existence
From darkness lead us to light,
From death lead us to immortality.
(Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 1.3.28)

Every tiny seed wants to come out of darkness and to see light. In the same way it is every human heart’s cry to come out of darkness and to see the light.

This is the cry of every heart on the face of this earth. Every person wants to come out of darkness that surrounds his/her life. This darkness, untruth and death are the result of our sin. From centuries people are searching for truth, light and immortality.

This is true prayer—the seeker’s admission of his sense of limitedness and his heartfelt cry for assistance in transcendence. It is not a prayer for the things of the world. It is not a pray for food, shelter, health, partnership, riches, success, fame, glory or even for heaven1. One who recites these three mantras has realized that such things are full of holes, soaked in pain and, even in abundance, will forever leave him wanting. It is in this full understanding that one turns to this prayer. The essence of each of these three mantras is the same: “O, Guru, help me free myself from my sundry misunderstandings regarding myself, the universe and God and bless me with true knowledge.”

The first line—asato ma sadgamaya—means, “Lead me from the asat to the sat.” In fact, it is best to not translate sat (nor its negative counterpart asat) for, as with many Sanskrit words, sat has many meanings and not only are most of them applicable here, their deliberate combined import provides a depth that no one of them could hold independently. These co-applicable meanings include: existence, reality and truth. (Co-applicable meanings for asat being: non-existence, non-reality and untruth.)

We often speak of religion or philosophy as a search for Truth. But only in India’s philosophy of Advaita Vedanta has the concept of “truth” been so meticulously and successfully dissected. According to Advaita, for something to be considered true in the ultimate sense, it must be true not just at one given moment, but always be true—true in all three periods of time: the past, present and future. In fact, Advaita goes one step further. It says if something does not exist in all three periods of time that it does not truly exist, it is not ultimately real. Thus, truth, existence and reality are one and the same. That reality, Vedanta says, is what we call God.

The universe and its things are in a constant state of change. The planets are in constant motion, their positions in relation to each other and the other astral bodies are in continuous flux. The seasons similarly are ever-shifting. Scientifically, we can easily understand that our bodies (and the cells within them) come into existence, are born and then go through periods of growth, sustenance, deterioration and death. In fact these six modifications are part-and-parcel of everything in creation. On the level of emotions, we move back and forth between happiness, sorrow and anger. Even our intellectual convictions rarely stay fixed for very long. So, according to Vedanta, we cannot call this world ultimately real. It is not ultimately true. Ultimately, it does not exist. It seems real etc. but it is not. Such a thing is called asat.

The seeker giving voice to this prayer has come to understand the finite nature of all the objects of the world, and he wants the Guru to guide him from the asat to the sat. He is fed up with depending on things that are not real. Why? Because just as the sandcastle is always washed away by the tide, dependence on the asat always ends in pain. Sat is our True Self—the blissful consciousness that ever was, is and ever will be. Being beyond time, this consciousness can never be washed away by the time’s tides. In fact, sat is there as the essential part of all of the asat objects. It is a matter of separating the wheat from the chaff, as it were.
When speaking about the ultimate reality, Sages say it is of the nature of sat-cit-ananda: pure existence, pure consciousness and pure bliss.

The second line—tamaso ma jyotirgamaya—means “Lead me from darkness to light.” When the Vedas refer to darkness and light, they mean ignorance and knowledge, respectfully. This is so because ignorance, like darkness, obscures true understanding. And in the same way that the only remedy for darkness is light, the only remedy for ignorance is knowledge. The knowledge spoken of here is again the knowledge of one’s true nature.

Currently, in the darkness of our ignorance, we believe ourselves to be bound and limited (otherwise we would not be reciting these mantras in the first place). But the Guru and the scriptures are telling us that, in truth, we are not, never will be and never have been bound. Eternally we sat-cit-ananda. The only thing that can remove our ignorance regarding our true nature is a spiritual education at the hands of a True Master.
The third line —mrtyorma amrtam gamaya—means: “Lead me from death to immortality.” This should not be taken as a prayer to live endless years in heaven or on earth. It is a prayer to the Guru for assistance in realizing the truth that “I was never born, nor can ever die, as I am not the body, mind and intellect, but the eternal, blissful consciousness that serves as the substratum of all creation.”

It is important to remember that, with all these mantras, the leading is not a physical leading. The Atma is not something far away that we have to make a pilgrimage to, nor is it something we need to transform ourselves into. Atma means “self.” We don’t need to transform our self into our self. Nor do we need to travel to it. We are it. The journey is a journey of knowledge. It is journey from what we misunderstand to be our self to what truly is our self. What the mantras really means is “Lead me to the understanding that I am not the limited body, mind and intellect, but am, was and always will be that eternal, absolute, blissful consciousness that serves as their substratum.”
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:13:37 PM by ღஜღZєйเáღஜღ » Logged
Sponsored-

Release my body with your lips & Stir my soul with the heat of your kiss
Muhabbat K Aabshaar-e-Ghazal ki Yahaa Kamee Nahi,     Bas Mere Hi Chaman Mei Phir Kyu Itni Maayusi Hai?
Dekha hai Maine Mubeen hote Har khwaab ko Yaha,  Phir Meri hi Duniyaa Kyu Issey Mehruum Hai?

~Insiyah (ZeNiA)

khushii
FOTN Hero

Posting Frequency

Mood

View Profile Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:14:11 PM »

clap clap clap clap clap
have copied it to my colection......

~ღ« เй$เYáн »ღ~
FOTN Junky

Posting Frequency

Mood

Topic starter

View Profile Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »

clap clap clap clap clap
have copied it to my colection......

Kool  Thumbs Up!

Muhabbat K Aabshaar-e-Ghazal ki Yahaa Kamee Nahi,     Bas Mere Hi Chaman Mei Phir Kyu Itni Maayusi Hai?
Dekha hai Maine Mubeen hote Har khwaab ko Yaha,  Phir Meri hi Duniyaa Kyu Issey Mehruum Hai?

~Insiyah (ZeNiA)

palki
FOTN Trendsetter

Posting Frequency

View Profile Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:17:40 PM »

clap clap clap clap

~ღ« เй$เYáн »ღ~
FOTN Junky

Posting Frequency

Mood

Topic starter

View Profile Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »

clap clap clap clap

Thumbs Up! Thumbs Up!

~Insiyah (ZeNiA)

Trisha *
FOTN Hero

Posting Frequency

View Profile Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »

clap clap clap +k Preeth  Smiley

May all be happy, and none face any sorrow.
May all be disease-free, and full of prosperity.
May all see goodness everywhere, and follow the path of honesty.
May no living being in the entire world be in grief.

- Daily Vedic Prayer.

~ღ« เй$เYáн »ღ~
FOTN Junky

Posting Frequency

Mood

Topic starter

View Profile Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »

clap clap clap +k Preeth  Smiley

Thanks Shruti  Smiley

~Insiyah (ZeNiA)

sameer00007

Posting Frequency

View Profile Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »

love clap Tongue Roll Eyes Thumbs Up!
sameer00007

Posting Frequency

View Profile Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »

Wow Wow Wow Wow Wow

* {560EA32F-A7C0-4D87-B374-6BCAE908AE85}0.gif (25.3 KB, 128x128 - viewed 943 times.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 01:13:07 PM by ღஜღZєйเáღஜღ » Logged
~ღ« เй$เYáн »ღ~
FOTN Junky

Posting Frequency

Mood

Topic starter

View Profile Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »

love clap Tongue Roll Eyes Thumbs Up!

Roll Eyes Welcome to FunOnTheNet Sameer Flower  Smiley

~Insiyah (ZeNiA)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Choose Board Name to Jump to:  

Latest PostsTime
Bhale Door Tum Raho, Hum Zinda Reh Lenge, by ymmittal123 (Shayari) Today at 07:22:13 AM
GOOD MORNING by ymmittal123 (Amazing, Breathtaking, Cute, etc.) Today at 05:23:26 AM
Kaisi biwi chahiye? by ymmittal123 (Clean Jokes) Yesterday at 03:08:24 PM
DOCTORS SAY THE DARNDEST THINGS .................... by refresh (Clean Jokes) Yesterday at 12:16:11 PM
Kaisi biwi chahiye? by refresh (Clean Jokes) Yesterday at 12:13:18 PM
The Signs... by refresh (Clean Jokes) Yesterday at 12:11:25 PM
GOOD MORNING by ymmittal123 (Amazing, Breathtaking, Cute, etc.) Yesterday at 05:49:08 AM
Popular Topics in the last 24 Hours
YM Mittal123 ji Fan Club ^-^ *-* ^-^
The Vaccine Against Diabetes Has Been Officially Announced and The Entire World
God In You !
FOODIES
Ik baar mujhe bhar ke nazar dekh lene do
OM - Old Melodies
Jiyo Jiyo Jagjit!

Participate in the fastest growing Indian forums! This website is 100% Free. Please register or login using the login box above if you have already registered. You will need to be logged in to reply, make new topics and to access all the boards. Registration is free!

Click to register
To sign up to the Yahoo Group FunOnTheNet (to receive fun E-Mails everyday), enter your email address below.